Apart from your mortgage, heating your home is the largest cost of homeownership. Residential high efficiency condensing boilers are highly efficient and offer homeowners much lower fuel and operating costs than conventional boilers.
U.S. Boiler Company is a leading manufacturer of home heating equipment, water boilers, steam boilers, domestic hot water heaters, and radiators. Included in our extensive selection of heating products are the super-efficient condensing gas boilers, the Burnham Alpine™ and K2™ boilers, which offer AFUE ratings of 95%.
- What is a high efficiency condensing boiler?
A high efficiency condensing boiler is a modern, highly efficient boiler. It consumes less fuel, and makes better use of the heat it generates. In other words, it makes the fuel you’re burning to heat your home go further.
- What is the difference between a high efficiency condensing boiler and a non-condensing or conventional boiler?
With a conventional boiler, some heat is lost through the chimney flue or vent pipe. A high efficiency condensing boiler recovers some of this wasted heat and uses it to heat water returning from your boiler. The process requires less heat from the burner and is more efficient. Depending upon its age and type, a conventional non-condensing boiler will typically be 80% to 85% efficient. Due to its more efficient heat exchanger, a high efficiency condensing boiler is, on average, 25% more efficient than a non-condensing boiler.
- Why should I change my boiler?
- Reliability. All boilers have a natural lifespan and eventually need to be replaced. They have moving parts, electronics and metal that can corrode. If your current boiler is not comfortably heating your home, you should consider replacing it. High efficiency condensing boilers have now been in use for 20 years and are very reliable.
- Savings. High efficiency condensing boilers consume less fuel (gas/oil) to provide the same desired heat output. You can save 20% to 30% when you change to a good high efficiency condensing boiler, or more if your boiler is more than 20 years old.
- Environmental impact. Old boilers generate far more CO² than high efficiency condensing boilers
- What is an AFUE rating?
Annual fuel utilization efficiency (AFUE) measures the amount of heat actually delivered to your home compared to the amount of fuel you have to supply to it. An 80% AFUE rating means that 80% of the fuel is converted to heat, and the other 20% is lost out of the chimney. An AFUE of 90% means that 90% of the fuel energy becomes heat for your home, and only 10% escapes up the chimney.
- Are high efficiency condensing boilers difficult to install?
The only real difference is that a high efficiency condensing boiler will need a drain for the condensed liquid, which is like a plastic overflow pipe.
- Are there more features than can help me save money?
It’s possible to save more by zoning your heating system. Zoning allows you to precisely control the temperature in every room or (zone) of your home, making your home more comfortable and saving you money by not heating rooms that no one occupies. The Burnham Alpine™ and Alta high efficiency condensing boilers also feature variable firing rates, which enable them to provide only the heat needed to meet demand instead of being constantly on or constantly off.
- Aren’t they more expensive?
Yes, but prices have continued to drop and are offset by the savings in fuel bills. High efficiency condensing boilers are the most efficient boilers available – the more efficient the boiler is, the less fuel it uses, the less carbon dioxide it produces, and the less it costs to run.
We invite you to browse our website for more information on our ENERGY STAR® rated residential high efficiency condensing boilers. There is no better way to save on your home heating costs.