One of the first things to check when shopping for an oil boiler is the efficiency rating, known as Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE). This rating measures the efficiency of the boiler’s combustion, and a higher AFUE rating means you will also enjoy greater savings.
Another thing to check is the ENERGY STAR® rating. Whether it’s an oil or gas boiler, this rating means it uses about 7% less energy than other boilers. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires boilers to have AFUE ratings of at least 85% to achieve ENERGY STAR® certification.
What do these high AFUE efficiency ratings mean to homeowners? An AFUE of 80% means that 80% of the fuel energy becomes heat for your home and the other 20% escapes up the chimney or through the vent. An 85% AFUE means that 85% of the fuel energy becomes heat, and only 15% is lost.
Compared to even 10 years ago, new boilers are substantially more efficient, often by as much as 20-30%. If your heating expenses rise year after year, and your home has an older boiler, now may be the ideal time to upgrade and achieve some major savings.
Our Most Efficient Residential Oil Boiler
This high efficiency rating along with the boiler’s modern design, durability and reliability have earned it ENERGY STAR® certification. At the heart of the MPO-IQ™ boiler is an advanced 3-pass cast iron heat exchanger with its well-insulated powder-coated steel jacket.
When a heat exchanger’s combustion gases pass from one end to the other only one time before exiting, it’s called a single-pass heat exchanger. Recirculating the combustion gases three times results in better thermal performance and less wasted energy. The deluxe insulated jacket also increases efficiency by reducing stand-by heat losses.
And then there is the MPO-IQ’s exclusive Intelligent Boiler Control System. The best-in-class system simplifies boiler operation by combining all the usual boiler safety controls, including ignition, into a central control module.
This boiler features an energy-saving “thermal purge”, which works by circulating residual warm water (140° or above) in the heating system before firing the boiler. Another optional feature is a weather-sensitive control, called “outdoor reset,” which adjusts the boiler’s operation based upon the actual air temperature outside the home. These features can help homeowners save an additional 15-20% on energy costs every year.
The MPO-IQ™ boiler is available in 5 sizes (0.60-1.65 GPH). It’s an optimal replacement boiler for homes with existing chimneys, but offers a direct vent option when a chimney is not available.
U.S. Boiler Company stands behind the heat exchanger of the MPO-IQ™ with a lifetime limited heat exchanger warranty plus a one-year manufacturer’s parts warranty. Optional 5 or 10-year parts and labor protection are also available.
When you install an oil boiler with high energy efficiency, such as MPO-IQ™ or one of our other ENERGY STAR® certified products, you will be repaid with lower energy bills.